Investor Assurance (Gateway)
Gateway is a project assurance process providing independent assurance using peer reviews in a project or program’s lifecycle at key decision points or Gates. Gateway was introduced to provide the NSW Government as the investor, with a level of confidence that State programs and projects are effectively developed and delivered on time, on budget and in accordance with the Government’s objectives. It is also intended to assist delivery agencies by providing confidence that a project or program will be successful and deliver defined outcomes.
NSW Gateway Policy
Issued in February 2017, the NSW Gateway Policy (TPP 17-01) makes the Gateway process mandatory for all significant investments - both capital and recurrent. The Gateway policy applies to all general government agencies and government businesses; and to state owned corporations to the extent required under the Commercial Policy Framework.
Building on over ten years’ experience with Gateway reviews in NSW, the policy adopts a risk based approach to determine when, and at what decision points, Gateway reviews should be undertaken. Moving to a risk based approach will allow better targeting of Gateway resources and improve overall assurance to delivery agencies and to Government.
The Policy establishes three Gateway Coordination Agencies (GCAs):
- Infrastructure NSW (INSW) for capital investments
- the Department of Finance Services and Innovation (DFSI) for ICT investments
- NSW Treasury for major recurrent investments.
The Policy requires each GCA to design and administer a Gateway Coordination Framework meeting specified minimum requirements and outlining the practical application of the policy to each of the respective investment types, as well as risk based reporting and monitoring arrangements. These Frameworks are:
- Infrastructure Investment Assurance Framework for capital projects
- ICT Assurance Framework for ICT projects
- Recurrent Investment Assurance Framework for major recurrent projects
Each GCA framework sets out how the thresholds at which the framework applies for the relevant investment type and the arrangements and processes to be followed for external assurance. Projects must then be risk assessed and classified into tiers to determine when, and at what decision points, Gateway Reviews must be undertaken.
Agencies must become familiar with these frameworks which will operate in conjunction with Treasury’s existing budget and project approval processes.
Recurrent Assurance Investor Framework
The Recurrent Investor Assurance Framework (RIAF) is an independent risk-based assurance process for the State’s major recurrent projects. It requires recurrent proposals above a threshold to be risk assessed and undergo a series of external assurance – or “Gateway”-reviews at key milestones – or “Gates”.
The RIAF applies to:
- Recurrent proposals over $100 million in Estimated Total Cost (ETC) or $50 million in any given year; or
- Proposals nominated by ERC, an Agency or by Treasury
It is the Agency’s responsibility to identify the appropriate GCA framework for a proposed investment whether capital or recurrent, and to agree the approach with the associated GCA. If there is doubt or disagreement as to which GCA framework is applicable, the matter may be referred to the Policy Owner (Treasury) for a determination.
A link to the updated Policy is provided in the resources section following.
- Gateway Review System - Overview
- Generic Gateway Process - High level outline of a typical Gateway Review
- Generic Gateway Review Schedule
Recurrent Investor Assurance
- RIAF Project Registration and Risk Assessment Tool [Excel file]
- Guide to completing the Project Registration and Risk Assessment Tool
- Recurrent Investor Assurance Framework (RIAF) Frequently Asked Questions
Policies and Circulars
- Recurrent Investor Assurance Framework (TC17-11)
- NSW Gateway Policy - Treasury Circular TC17-03
- NSW Gateway Policy - policy document TPP17-01
- Recurrent Investment Assurance Framework TPP17-02
- Infrastructure Investment Assurance Framework (INSW)
- ICT Assurance Framework (NSW ICT Strategy)
For more information
Please contact the Treasury Gateway team on 02 9228 4207 or email: [email protected].
For specific queries relating to the GCA Frameworks, please contact:
Infrastructure Investor Assurance Framework Assurance Team - [email protected]
ICT Assurance Framework Assurance Team - [email protected]
Recurrent Investor Assurance Framework Gateway Team - [email protected]