Investor Assurance (Gateway)
Gateway is a project assurance process providing independent assurance using peer reviews in a project or program’s lifecycle at key decision points or Gates. Gateway was introduced to provide the NSW Government as the investor, with a level of confidence that State programs and projects are effectively developed and delivered on time, on budget and in accordance with the Government’s objectives. It is also intended to assist delivery agencies by providing confidence that a project or program will be successful and deliver defined outcomes.
NSW Gateway Policy
Issued in February 2017, the NSW Gateway Policy (TPP 17-01) makes the Gateway process mandatory for all significant investments and expenditure - both capital and recurrent. The Gateway policy applies to all general government agencies and government businesses; and to state owned corporations to the extent required under the Commercial Policy Framework. The Major Projects Policy for Government Business (TPP 18-05), outlines the circumstances in which NSW Gateway policy applies to State Owned Corporations (SOCs).
Building on over ten years’ experience with Gateway reviews in NSW, the policy adopts a risk-based approach to determine when, and at what decision points, Gateway reviews should be undertaken. Moving to a risk-based approach will allow better targeting of Gateway resources and improve overall assurance to delivery agencies and to Government.
The Policy establishes three Gateway Coordination Agencies (GCAs):
- Infrastructure NSW (INSW) for capital investments
- the Department of Customer Service (DCS) for ICT investments
- NSW Treasury for major recurrent expenditure.
The Policy requires each GCA to design and administer a Gateway Coordination Framework meeting specified minimum requirements and outlining the practical application of the policy to each of the respective investment or expenditure types, as well as risk-based reporting and monitoring arrangements. These Frameworks are:
- Infrastructure Investment Assurance Framework for capital projects (Infrastructure Investment Assurance Framework (INSW))
- ICT Assurance Framework for ICT projects (ICT Assurance Framework (NSW ICT Strategy))
- Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework for major recurrent projects (Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework (Treasury))
Each GCA framework sets out how the thresholds at which the framework applies for the relevant investment or expenditure type and the arrangements and processes to be followed for external assurance. Projects must then be risk assessed and classified into tiers to determine when, and at what decision points, Gateway Reviews must be undertaken.
Agencies must become familiar with these frameworks which will operate in conjunction with Treasury’s existing budget and project approval processes.
It is the Agency’s responsibility to identify the appropriate GCA framework for a proposed investment or expenditure whether capital or recurrent, and to agree the approach with the associated GCA. If there is doubt or disagreement as to which GCA framework is applicable, the matter may be referred to the Policy Owner (Treasury) for a determination.
A link to the updated Policy is provided in the resources section following.
- Gateway Review System - Overview
- Generic Gateway Process - High level outline of a typical Gateway Review
- Generic Gateway Review Schedule
Policies and Circulars
- Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework (TC19-03)
- NSW Gateway Policy - Treasury Circular TC17-03
- NSW Gateway Policy - policy document TPP17-01
- Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework TPP19-03
- Infrastructure Investment Assurance Framework (INSW)
- ICT Assurance Framework (NSW ICT Strategy)
- Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework (Treasury)
- Major Projects Policy for Government Businesses TPP 18-05
For more information
Please contact the Treasury Gateway team via email [email protected]
For specific queries relating to the GCA Frameworks, please contact:
Infrastructure Investor Assurance Framework Assurance Team - [email protected]
ICT Assurance Framework Assurance Team - [email protected]
Recurrent Expenditure Assurance Framework Gateway Team - [email protected]